This document is meant to be a guide and may be tweaked to fit the needs of your particular alumni community.
As a member of the board’s executive leadership team, it is expected that the treasurer would understand and be familiar with the IUAA strategic plan, the mission, priorities, values, and policies of the organization.
- Manages the alumni community’s funds and the alumni board’s actions as they relate to the board’s financial responsibilities and accounts
- Works directly with IUAA staff members to develop financial reports and to comply with financial best practices for the organization
- Ensures that appropriate and accurate financial reports are made available to the board
- Plans and/or participates in meetings and/or conference calls and gives financial report at board meetings
- Submits required financial reports to the IUAA in a timely manner (if applicable)
- Ensures sound management of alumni community’s cash and investments (if applicable)
This role requires approximately two to four hours of work monthly. The time may vary from month-to-month depending on the frequency of activities of the group and/or requests by the president.
Additional IUAA engagement opportunities
The IUAA offers additional opportunities for our alumni volunteer leaders to participate in training, provide feedback, and connect with other alumni volunteers. Time commitments vary from as little as a few minutes to as much as a two-day conference.
We host bimonthly webinars and an annual Alumni Leaders Conference every June. We offer periodic “open ears forums” soliciting feedback on certain topics. There is an Alumni Leader Facebook page that provides a forum for idea-sharing and moderated discussions among volunteer leaders. We expect our volunteer leaders to actively participate in as many of these opportunities as possible.
Some characteristics of a successful treasurer
This is not a comprehensive list: