This document is meant as a starting point. It should be tweaked to fit the needs of your particular alumni community.
As a member of the board’s executive leadership team, it is expected that the president would understand and be familiar with the IUAA strategic plan, the mission, priorities, values, and policies of the organization.
- Presides over and facilitates all meetings and/or conference calls
- Determines the goals and objectives for each meeting
- Prepares and shares an agenda and materials prior to meetings
- Delegates roles and responsibilities to the board and/or committee members
- Assumes responsibility for the group’s progress
- Actively participates in training, webinars, and conferences offered by the IU Alumni Association
- Ensures that projects and tasks of the group are completed in an effective and timely manner
- Attends events and programs sponsored and/or hosted by the group or designates a substitute to attend in his/her place
- Solicits input from the other board members
- Attends to phone or email communications in a timely manner
- Reads materials relevant to the organization’s efforts
The president’s role requires approximately three to four hours of work weekly that is focused on the goals and priorities of your specific alumni community. The time may vary from month-to-month depending on the frequency of activities of the group.
Additional IUAA engagement opportunities
The IUAA offers additional opportunities for our alumni volunteer leaders to participate in training, provide feedback, and connect with other alumni volunteers. Time commitments vary from as little as a few minutes to as much as a two-day conference. We host bimonthly webinars and an annual Alumni Leaders Conference every June. We offer periodic “open ears forums” soliciting feedback on certain topics. There is also an Alumni Leader Facebook group that provides a forum for idea-sharing and moderated discussions among volunteer leaders. We expect our volunteer leaders to actively participate in as many of these opportunities as possible.
Some characteristics of a successful president
This is not a comprehensive list: